BUSWORLD PHOTOGRAPHY

I AM CHRISTOPHER LEACH THE ARTIST. I started this blog so that I can share with everyone my vast collection of transport photographs showing a personal and nostalgic view of the industry with images that span some 45 years taking in the U.K and some of Europe. I have no darkroom and so rather than being the perfectionist after tidying them up I upload the images warts and all, and even those that won't scan squarely or are scratched. In a way it adds age and character. You are all free to download these for your personal use but please remember I still own them and you are not just free to use them without prior permission for any knd of publishing. Click on images to enlarge them and if you want to see more leave your comments or visit my website for the mother-site with galleries including those Buses & Girls: PICTUREWORLD

Saturday 8 March 2008

Those we have loved: Those Stagecoach Stripes!

Stagecoach Stripes: Remember at the time how we loathed it but now times have moved on we've come to view it with a certain affection; anyway I certainly do. My sentiment is helped by having forgotten how this pushy company used it's size and financial might to bully smaller rivals into submission as happened here when it quashed Lancaster City Transport because it wanted it's traffic and modern garage. I must say though that it took Stagecoach a long time to sley it's white elephant and replace it's back-of-a-matchbox livery with something so much more eye-catching and vital. Surprisingly the ECW Bristol VR looked quite reasonable in Stagecoach Stripes but somehow Alexander bodies like the R-Type seen here on an Leyland Olympian chassis, the also ubiquitous P-Series and little Dash single-deckers too not only looked smashing they summed up the company at that time in the Nineties and I see it's spread out well managed and always clean looking fleet almost like another 'BET' Ribble or Southdown.

No comments: